Well, I haven't posted on this blog in over a year, but I thought I'd revive it! This is a particularly good time to revive this blog as I recently started taking Afrikaans lessons. I'm sure that my learning Afrikaans will lead to many cross-cultural adventures.
Here's a little vignette from this morning:
My boss: Who are you supporting in the Currie Cup?
Me: Umm....
My boss: Do you even know who's playing in the final?
Me: South Africa. And... uh... India?
My boss: Oh, dear.
Me: Well, I don't really follow cricket.
My boss: Oh, dear. Please go tell your husband that he's not giving you a proper South African sports education.
For the Americans who don't understand why this vignette is funny, it turns out that the Currie Cup is a national rugby competition.
As a quick aside, I often refer to cricket as "baseball croquet". This makes sense to me but seems to greatly distress my husband and other South Africans.
Here's a little vignette from this morning:
My boss: Who are you supporting in the Currie Cup?
Me: Umm....
My boss: Do you even know who's playing in the final?
Me: South Africa. And... uh... India?
My boss: Oh, dear.
Me: Well, I don't really follow cricket.
My boss: Oh, dear. Please go tell your husband that he's not giving you a proper South African sports education.
For the Americans who don't understand why this vignette is funny, it turns out that the Currie Cup is a national rugby competition.
As a quick aside, I often refer to cricket as "baseball croquet". This makes sense to me but seems to greatly distress my husband and other South Africans.
No comments:
Post a Comment