I'm currently back on Cape Cod for a few months to defend my PhD. Jackie is coming over in late May for a few weeks, and I'm torturing him by making him attend my 10-year high school reunion, my PhD graduation ceremonies (yes, ceremonies-- there's two, and I am wearing Harry Potter robes to both!), and a second wedding celebration hosted by my mom and dad in New Hampshire (our first wedding was in South Africa last October).
Jackie gave me a call today, and we had a conversation that went something like this:
Jackie: Oh! I meant to tell you. I bought a flask today.
Me: That's good. We'll probably need that for the wedding.
Jackie: Do you think we'll need it for the wedding?
Me: Yes. I think the second wedding is going to be all about survival.
A pause. Then:
Jackie: But... won't it be too warm for hot chocolate in June? And don't your parents have a flask?
Me: Hot chocolate? What, do you spike it or something?
Jackie: What?
Me: And you know my parents don't drink much. Besides, why would we want to borrow their flask? That's sort of gross.
Jackie: I don't think so. I mean, we all used to share a flask in the student digs.
Me: What?
Jackie: Wait, what do you call a flask in America?
Me: Uh... a flask. Wait a minute... do you mean a Thermos?
Jackie: No. Thermos is a brand name. Do you say "Xerox" when you refer to a photocopier?
Me: Well, yes, actually... we often talk about Xeroxing something... and ask for Kleenex and stuff.
Jackie (fake sighing): American consumerism.
Me: Well, I think you should go buy another flask. The little kind that goes in your coat pocket. What do you call it?
Jackie: Umm... that's a head flask, I think.
Me: A what?
Jackie: A head flask. Because it's curved so you can balance it on your head.
Me: What? What kind of crazy drinking habits do you South Africans have? Never mind. I think we should go with Plan A of filling water bottles with gin and tonic.
After nearly five years together, I am amazed that Jackie and I still have miscommunications. Clearly, there is still quite a bit of colloquial South African and American English for us to learn.
UPDATE: Jackie has informed me that he said "hip flask," not "head flask." He then accused me of being full of American stereotypes and assuming that all Africans carry things on their heads. Sigh. I have much to learn, still.
Jackie gave me a call today, and we had a conversation that went something like this:
Jackie: Oh! I meant to tell you. I bought a flask today.
Me: That's good. We'll probably need that for the wedding.
Jackie: Do you think we'll need it for the wedding?
Me: Yes. I think the second wedding is going to be all about survival.
A pause. Then:
Jackie: But... won't it be too warm for hot chocolate in June? And don't your parents have a flask?
Me: Hot chocolate? What, do you spike it or something?
Jackie: What?
Me: And you know my parents don't drink much. Besides, why would we want to borrow their flask? That's sort of gross.
Jackie: I don't think so. I mean, we all used to share a flask in the student digs.
Me: What?
Jackie: Wait, what do you call a flask in America?
Me: Uh... a flask. Wait a minute... do you mean a Thermos?
Jackie: No. Thermos is a brand name. Do you say "Xerox" when you refer to a photocopier?
Me: Well, yes, actually... we often talk about Xeroxing something... and ask for Kleenex and stuff.
Jackie (fake sighing): American consumerism.
Me: Well, I think you should go buy another flask. The little kind that goes in your coat pocket. What do you call it?
Jackie: Umm... that's a head flask, I think.
Me: A what?
Jackie: A head flask. Because it's curved so you can balance it on your head.
Me: What? What kind of crazy drinking habits do you South Africans have? Never mind. I think we should go with Plan A of filling water bottles with gin and tonic.
After nearly five years together, I am amazed that Jackie and I still have miscommunications. Clearly, there is still quite a bit of colloquial South African and American English for us to learn.
UPDATE: Jackie has informed me that he said "hip flask," not "head flask." He then accused me of being full of American stereotypes and assuming that all Africans carry things on their heads. Sigh. I have much to learn, still.
No comments:
Post a Comment